Saturday, September 6, 2014

Tomato Zucchini Pie - Week 32 Bonus

Take advantage of your garden fresh tomatoes and zucchini and make a pie for dinner that your family will enjoy.

I didn't have another zucchini pie scheduled, but my mom gave me this recipe. She said it turned out good and it was easy to make; so I decided I would make it and include it in my blog. 
My mom has spent most of her life as a homemaker and she is a really good cook. She taught me well by showing me how to make the most of your garden ingredients by trying new things to keep the menu versatile.  Also, she never was one to use processed foods; so when I began to cook on my own; I always had a little bit of guilt when I used one of those shortcut foods.  And now, we are starting to learn more about all those additives, so I realize that I need to take her advice.

Here is her recipe, I know you will enjoy it as much as we did!


Ingredients (Spaghetti Crust):
1 pkg (7 oz) spaghetti, cooked & drained
2 T. butter or margarine, melted
½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten


Ingredients (Filling):
1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage
1 garlic clove, minced
1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
½ chopped onions
½ c. chopped fresh mushroom
1 t. Italian seasoning
salt & pepper
5 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 t. parsley flakes1 c. shredded cheese



Directions (crust):
Add butter, Parmesan cheese and egg to cooked spaghetti. Place in a 10” greased pie plate.
Directions (Filling):
Remove sausage from casings (if needed), and crumble into a large skillet. Add the garlic, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well, and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Place filling on top of crust. Sprinkle cheese over top of filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 


I served this pie with a fresh garden salad and the S'mores Pie
What would you serve with this pie to make it a meal?









No comments:

Post a Comment