Sunday, March 23, 2014

Chocolate Silk Cream Cheese Pie - Week 12


Chocolate Silk Cream Cheese Pie...yes!


I made this recipe about 20 years ago, and then I stowed this recipe card into my box. And then it sat there unnoticed until now. I am glad I rediscovered it.  

It is delightfully rich. And worth every calorie. 

Some are concerned about the raw eggs that are included in this. Apparently, the uncooked egg is what makes a silk pie because that is the common thread in all chocolate silk recipes.  If you are concerned about the raw eggs, especially for pregnant ladies, infants, or elderly; some stores do sell a pasteurized egg that eliminates the salmonella risk that is associated with raw eggs.  My family has never had an issue with raw cookie dough or homemade ice cream with raw eggs; so I went ahead and used the eggs that I already had in my fridge.

This time, my youngest son helped by whipping the egg whites into those stiff peaks. He actually helps almost every time because he is my official photographer. 







Ingredients:
24 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 (8 oz.) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
2 egg whites
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. whip cream topping







Directions:
Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press into a 9" pie plate. Refrigerate at least an hour before filling. Combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add egg yolks and beat until smooth. Stir in melted chocolate. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar to egg whites. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into chocolate mix. Gently fold whip cream cream topping into chocolate mixture. Cool at least 3 hours before serving.





I think you'll find this pie super-delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment