Saturday, July 19, 2014

Zucchini Onion Pie - Bonus Pie Week 27


Zucchini is super versatile, 
and this is a great way to enjoy this squash variety 
in a great side dish casserole pie.


I enjoy this time of year when gardeners have an excess of zucchini because there are so many tasty ways to enjoy it.  Fried zucchini was one of my favorite dishes until I made it myself and was horrified how much butter/oil it takes. I was surprised that this tasted a lot like the more indulgent zucchini dish. The next time, I'm going to swap out some of the flour for some cornmeal and see how it works out.




Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/4 c. shortening
2 t. baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1 garlic clove, minced
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3 cups sliced zucchini
1 small onion, chopped





Directions:
In a small bowl, cut shortening into flour and baking powder, and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, Parmesan cheese, oil, milk, garlic, and seasonings together. 
Stir in the zucchini, onion, and the flour mixture.
Pour into a greased 9” deep dish pie plate.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly browned.



I don't have enough space in my city lot to grow zucchini, 
so I always appreciate the bounty of other people's gardens this time of year (Thanks Mom & Dad!)
What is your favorite homegrown produce out of the garden?





No comments:

Post a Comment