Thursday, July 17, 2014

Crazy Crust Cherry Pie - Week 27



 Easy as Pie recipe that everyone will enjoy!

Urban Legend claims that it is illegal to buy cherry pie with ice cream in Kansas on a Sunday. That law has been perpetuated by internet sites, and even the Mattel game "Balderdash". However, Anali gets it straightened out on her blog by doing the research.
Pie a la mode is such a treat; it would be hard to imagine that it could be illegal in Kansas. I am a stickler for not perpetuating false claims that I am always checking out websites such as snopes.com or urbanlegends.com when I see a crazy claim, I try to check it out before I pass on the information. So I'm happy to announce that Kansas can eat cherry pie a la mode on Sundays!

I enjoyed the simplicity of this pie. I think it has several possibilities: Apple, Blueberry, Peach, and more. The a la mode is just the best way to top it off!



Ingredients:
1 c. flour

2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 egg
16 oz. pkg frozen cherries
1 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch









Directions:
In small bowl, combine flour, 2 T. sugar, baking powder, salt, water, butter, and egg. Mix well.
Spread batter into a greased deep dish pie pan.
Mix cherries, sugar, and cornstarch together, and carefully spoon over batter, don't stir.
Bake at 425 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until is golden brown.
(Note: You can use your favorite canned pie filling instead of the frozen cherry mix to make it easier.  I used dark sweet cherries, and I would recommend using a red tart cherry instead.)
I made this pie for my birthday, and birthday gift this year was homemade ice cream from my sweet hubby.
Every birthday I had as a child, my family had the neighbors over for homemade ice cream and cake. There was always two kinds, so it was a treat to indulge!
What is one of your favorite birthday treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment