Friday, June 20, 2014

Pizza Pie Part 1 - Week 22 Bonus













Everyone loves pizza, but not all pizzas are created equal.

Over the years, I've tried to make homemade pizza multiple times. But, I have never felt successful with any of those attempts.  In our Kansan small town there are at least 5 options to get a fresh pizza, so my attempts have been less frequent. Even the gas station pizza is quite good.
I can even say that there are even some very good frozen pizza options out there.
                     

And in all actuality, by the time you include the cost for the cheese that you put on a homemade pizza, plus the convenience factor; I'm not convinced that homemade pizza is the best option for me. I will attempt another homemade pizza pie before the year's end. I did enjoy this sauce, and think it is one of the best sauces that I've ever tried in the kitchen. The addition of Parmesan cheese gives it this bold sauce a little depth. I will share it with you. I am anxious to share it with you.



Pizza Pie Sauce Ingredients:

1 (6 oz.) can tomato sauce
6 oz. warm water
3 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 t. minced garlic
2 T. honey
1 t. onion powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 t. black pepper
salt to taste
Pizza Pie Sauce Directions:
In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, warm water, Parmesan cheese, garlic, honey, onion powder, and seasonings. Mix together well. Let sauce sit for at least 30 minutes. (I used half of this sauce for one very large pizza.)





For the crust, I chose Bobby Flay's Pizza Dough recipe. I've never had great success with homemade pizza dough in the past, and this was one of my better attempts. I didn't have the bread flour that it recommended; so that could be part of its performance issues. I plan on trying it again with some modifications, so stay tuned to Pizza Pie - Part 2. If you have a great pizza dough recipe, feel free to pass it along.


I served this pizza pie for some of my son's friends so I kept the toppings simple with cheese, beef, and sausage. We typically put some veggies on our pizza.


What is your favorite pizza topping? 









No comments:

Post a Comment