Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pastiera Easter Grain Pie - Week 15

The fruitcake pie of Easter.

The grain contained in this pie is symbolic of Christ's resurrection. A grain of wheat lies dormant and then comes to life in the spring. I have found some reports that this pie originates from the 8th century when a group of nuns came from Greece to Naples, Italy. They used the whole grain to represent the resurrection of Christ. It has been a tradition in Italian culture since then.

I was actually excited to make a wheat pie because of my Kansas connection. However, I am sad that I was unable to find the wheat berries that I needed in town. Even the local health food stores and the co-op couldn't help me out. I may have been able to find them elsewhere, but when I found out that barley would taste basically the same, I caved and used them instead.  

The result was interesting, however my family wasn't fond of this pie. Maybe, we aren't Italian enough? 

I had given a second Easter grain pie to another family for pie-it-forward. They were polite and told me it was good. When I cornered their 11 yr old daughter to ask her honest opinion, she was so sweet and didn't want to reveal her actual opinion. 

I had to make my own candied fruit, but I am sure the packaged candied fruit would taste the same. I found these directions to make candied fruit. I used pineapple, lemon rind, orange rind, and apple. The candied fruit itself was good, but the finished pie did remind me of fruitcake.

Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:

Unbaked Pie crust (bottom and lattice top)

3 cups water
1/4 whole wheat berries (or 1/2 cup pearl barley)
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
4 0z. mixed candied fruit
12 oz. Ricotta cheese
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. grated lemon zest
1 t. grated orange zest
1/2 T. shortening
1/2 t. salt
1 T. powdered sugar, for dusting



Directions:
Good Friday: Soak wheat berries in water. (Barley does not need to be soaked.)

Saturday: Bring 3 cups water to boil in large saucepan. 
Drain wheat berries and add them to boiling water and boil for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat eggs. Gradually add sugar to eggs. Mix in fruit, ricotta, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon rind, and orange rind. 
When wheat is ready, drain in a colander and rinse with warm water. 
Place 1/2 cup cooked wheat in a small bowl, and mix in shortening and salt, until shortening is melted. 
Add to ricotta mixture. Spoon filling into bottom crust. 
Cover with lattice strips, and crimp edges. 
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. 
Sprinkle pie with powdered sugar. 
Cool to room temperature and refrigerate.

Easter Sunday: Ready to serve. 







He is risen Indeed, Alleluia!





Next Easter, I plan on making pie again. 

However, it will be one of our tried and true favorites. 
What favorite dessert do you enjoy at your Easter dinner?


1 comment:

  1. What a great story to go along with this pie! It is very frustrating finding the whole grains around here to make much of anything from scratch! Maybe that a corner of a market we should tap??

    ReplyDelete