Sunday, April 6, 2014

Impossible Pie - Week 14





Grandma says,

"This is quick and easy. Thought you 2 might like this. I use vanilla & nutmeg to my taste."


This pie is originally from the 70s when Bisquick popularized the mysterious way that you could mix all ingredients together and pour into a pie plate, bake and then it would impossibly form its own crust. The company printed the recipe on boxes of their mix with various modifications to simplify baking, and brand loyalty. Bisquick still promotes these pie recipes, but changed the titles to "Impossibly Easy..."; you can find their recipes on their website. 

In all actuality though, baking mix is not actually needed and you can create the same effect with flour. I have yet to try it with their other impossible recipes, but this one works fine with just flour. This recipe was another one of my Grandma's favorites, so I actually fixed this on her 94th birthday this past week. I wish I lived closer, and I would haven taken her a piece of birthday pie! 

Here is her recipe exactly like she wrote it for me 20+ years ago when I was a newlywed. By the way, scant means barely or almost.


Ingredients:
4 Eggs
1 cup Sugar (scant)
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 stick Oleo
2 cups Milk
1 cup Coconut (scant)
1 tsp Vanilla
Nutmeg, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste






Directions:
Melt Oleo. Put all ingredients together and mix well. Pour into large greased pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.








This is a super-easy quick treat. However, my family missed the crust.  I actually know people that don't care for "all that crust"; so this would be great for them.



I am excited to try some of the variations of the Impossible Pies.  Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment