Sunday, August 10, 2014

Grilled Pina Colada Pie - Week 29


Pie can be made anywhere; even on the grill with this simple summer recipe.

Our family loves our outdoor cooking. My husband is a great outdoor chef. He would rather be outdoors or in his garage (man cave) than stuck in the house; so, when it is his turn to cook, he usually fixes it outside. He makes a mean "bacon chili" and also a great "campfire lasagna".  When I needed a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, I turned to him for the  right equipment. 

For my pie challenge, I committed myself to making homemade crust for every pie. However, I do recommend the use of a premade crust for this one. On the hot afternoon that I made this, I had a difficult time keeping my crust together and the finished pie ended up messier than I would have liked.

The original recipe called for a 400 degree preheated grill, and I tried to achieve that, but fell short. I just cooked it a little bit longer. Also, the recipe was not clear on how much pie this made; and, YES, I discovered to make ONE pie you need to use only half a small box of instant pudding, and half a pineapple. I suppose you could make 2 pies, and double the recipe. I could see making a different type of pie with the other half of the pudding as most of my family doesn't care for coconut. 

I definitely don't recommend using canned pineapple because fresh pineapple is so delicious and canned pineapple just wouldn't be the same.

I hope to try another grilled pie and update this post. In the meantime, here is the pie as I made it:


Ingredients:
1 pastry crust
½ pkg instant vanilla pudding
¾ cup milk
½ Pineapple
½  cup sweetened shredded coconut
½ t. rum extract
1 egg
1 T. water






Directions:
1. Place pie crust in 8” cast iron skillet
2. Mix pudding with milk and let stand for 5 minutes
3. Cut pineapple into chunks and mix into pudding. Stir in coconut and rum extract.
4. Place mix in crust
5. Mix egg with water and brush edges of pie crust.
6. Place cast iron skillet on preheated grill at 400 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Notes:
I recommend using a premade crust.
This recipe uses HALF of a small box of pudding
If you cannot maintain 400 degrees on your grill, you can keep it in for a longer period of time.


Grilling is part of summer.
What are some foods that you've tried on your grill?






No comments:

Post a Comment