Thursday, May 15, 2014

Chile Relleno Pie - Week 18 Bonus





























I LOVE Cheese! And recently, I've discovered that Chile Relleno is one of my many Mexican dishes that I love! However, it is a dish that takes some planning to make, especially if you want to roast your own chiles.  The Pioneer Woman has a great how-to post on roasting your own chiles here.


Pick some large chile beauties to roast!

Place them on the top rack on broil to roast in the oven.

They are done in the oven when the skins are peeling.

After you've let them cool in a plastic bag,
you can peel them and remove the seeds.
I do admit that this bonus pie is a stretch to declare pie, but I found one chef that called this pie because of its crusty topping; so I went with it. I served this with grilled chicken breast, tortilla chips, and salsa. It made a delicious meal. 

The kitchen tip that I learned with this meal is:
"Use farm fresh eggs for quality egg white whipping."
I have always bought the regular grocery store eggs because that is readily available, but I had the opportunity to try some farm fresh eggs, and those egg whites whipped up super-fast. I can't wait to re-try the meringue topping that I've struggled with.





Ingredients:
1 lb whole roasted chiles, (5 large)
3 cups grated cheese
3 T. butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
3 T. yellow cornmeal
1 T. Flour
1 cup milk
1 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Salsa

Directions:



Stuff chiles with 2 cups cheese. Place in 13x9 casserole dish. 






Melt butter, add onion and peppers and cook 2-3 minutes. 

Sprinkle with cornmeal, flour, and cook stirring until flour begins to bubble (2-3 minutes). Gradually add milk, whisking until sauce is smooth and thick (4-5 minutes). Add salt, cayenne, corn and egg yolks. 



When ready to bake pie, fold in egg whites.
Spread over chiles and sprinkle 1 cup cheese over top. 
Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees until crust is set and golden. Serve with salsa.









Whew...yes, I enjoyed this.
But, I think may treat myself next time I'm at Playa Azul and order it.
What is your favorite thing to order at a restaurant
because it's better when someone else makes it?

No comments:

Post a Comment